Joy's surgery concluded late this afternoon after several hours delay due to emergency surgery on a kidney transplant patient. According to the surgeon, the surgery went according to plan and she remained stable throughout. Although heavily sedated, she was awake enough to suggest that I go home, get a good nights sleep and take my time getting back tomorrow. They were hooking her up to a morphine pump so she can administer pain med as needed.
Plan for tomorrow will be to complete another "swallow" test to ensure their are no leaks and that she actually can swallow. If this is successful, then it will be clear liquids for a day and then combination of clear liquids and pureed food for a couple weeks. Then if that is successful, it will be very small but frequent meals of extremely well chewed small bites of food the rest of her natural life.
A long way to go...........................we know of more people with complications from this surgery than successes so we hope for the best.
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good Morning Joy & Wayne,
Glad to hear Joy made it through the surgery with flying colors. We expected nothing less! Hope you both had a good night's rest. If I had a self-medicating morphine machine, I'm pretty sure I'd sleep pretty good. I guess this means we're on the home stretch? How long is the expected recovery from surgery? Will you try to get home for the holidays? We're beginning to get the Christmas spirit down here in Philly. A tree now graces our foyer. Decorations go on tonight, if Steve can figure out how to make the tree stand up straight. Joy, please take care and get well soon. As always, you're in our thoughts and prayers.
Love to all,
Steve & Trina
Post a Comment