Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas in Dixie

Joy had a restful night and tolerated the bronch / biopsy this morning. They removed some fluid but discovered narrowed airways in the right lung which may be corrected by a similar procedure next week. She had additional x-rays to determine the extent of fluid build up outside the lungs in the chest cavity. If significant, they may want to "needle aspirate" that fluid. Joy had pureed lunch and dinner without any apparent issues or concerns. Time will tell!

If all of the planets and moons align perfectly tomorrow, she may be discharge with the anticipated lung procedure handled as an outpatient next week. Ideally, they want to monitor her eating for a couple weeks after surgery so we must be local should complications develop. Additionally, the transplant team wants her to remain local until she is once again back to normal from an oxygen saturation perspective so it wise to remain here and enjoy Christmas in Dixie and not create a hasty return home. Given the current weather conditions in Chicago and our high 70 degree days here, spending the holiday at daughter Caroline and Jim's home on the NC coast sounds quite appealing. Cathy and Kayce will fly down to join in the festivities. Truth be known, they probably just want to get out of the bad and cold weather in Chicago. Go figure!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez Dad, what on earth would make you think that,lol? I will be more than happy to bring some of this with me. I know how much you miss it, HAHAHAHA!!!! I am glad mom is making some progress and she is finally getting something to eat. Give her my love and tell her she will have her girl Kayce in a week.Now, I am the one who get's to sing " I'll Be Home With Bells On." Love, Cathy

Anonymous said...

The turkey fryer is on stand-by, peanut oil added to the list and praying for a warm Christmas. It would of been cool to cook a pig..but we can't for-go all traditions, hahaha. See all of you soon.

Love,
Caroline

Steve said...

Hey Bullas,
Sounds like you've got your Christmas plans all sewn up. Are you sure you wouldn't rather visit Montpelier? NC sounds awful warm and pleasant... Glad to hear Joy's making progress. How much longer until we go from pureed to the real deal?
Love to all,
Steve & Trina

Unknown said...

I think I'm the crazy one that's going back to Ohio for Christmas! I am trying to pack this weather to take with me...I'm definitely not looking forward to the weather there!!! I'm glad to hear Aunt Joy is getting better, and I hope she continues to improve. Love you both tons!!!!
~Lora
Are you having the traditional jello mold this year??