Thursday, November 13, 2008

Good News, Bad News and Terrible News

I am becoming tired of writing this blog because there is never much of anything positive to report and I do not see any change forthcoming to alter that view.

However, Kayce is now home from the hospital after being treated for Pancreatitis. She was one sick young women and of course once again, we were not here for her. She is doing fine and catching up on finals and homework.

While we were still in NC, our good friend Doug Hill (wife Cookie) suffered a massive heart attack just after a brief visit to the Center For Living Facility. Doug's transplant was Sept. 2006 and hasn't had a good day since. I talked to Cookie about an hour after 911 took him to the ER and understood his condition to be serious. I immediately went to the ER and was met by a social worker that told me his condition was extremely grave. I stayed with her for about four hours and went back the next day but Doug's condition remained the same. I have mentioned in this blog previously about Doug and Cookie and value their friendship tremendously. I had a long chat with Doug when they invited me over for dinner while Joy was in the hospital. He was showing signs of improvement. But Doug never regained consciousness.

Doug has died. He too, had IPF like Joy and has been sick for about four years the worst of which was the last two. There has to be a special place for the likes of Doug and Cookie Hill.

Joy had a miserable trip back. We were home for about 2 hours when I took Joy to her local doctor to examine her incision area which was inflamed and painful. The doctor sent her immediately to ER and she now remains in 100% isolation suspected of having the MRSA infection. Her compromised immune system is hampering their treatment options. They opened her incision and installed a vacuum pump to aid in the healing process. They plan to give her two units of blood tonight.

She has been searching for a good reason to cancel the December Duke appointments with the surgeon, transplant clinic, endocrinologist and treatment for her back. She may have just found one.

8 comments:

Steve said...

Hello Wayne & Joy,
What discouraging news! Wayne, I can understand why keeping up this blog is so difficult. It's been a long, slow and painful process. And poor Joy. It's just been one thing after another. At least the lovely Kayce is back on her feet! Let's hope Joy's infection is short lived. We wish there was some way we could help. As always, we have you all in our thoughts and prayers. Keep the faith! Better days are yet to come.
Love to all,
Steve & Trina

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear Lord, how much more?. . .
Thank you, Wayne, for the updates. I know you are discouraged and feel like all you can report is bad news. I have a friend in Bryan who contracted MRSA and survived after being very sick. She, too, has trouble healing after surgery and she has had many surgeries. I am so sorry about your friend. When you talk to Joy, give her our love and remind her how many people are praying for her recovery.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne and Joy,
We are so sorry to hear of the infection Joy has. Hang in there Joy like you have been. Betty had an infection that they to had to use the vacuum. We know that it is very uncomfortable but we pray the outcome will be good. Wayne Thank You so much for keeping us posted, good news or bad.

As always both you will be in our prays.

Audrey and Betty

Musings from a Tangled Mind. said...

Dear Wayne & Joy - I know you are discouraged. But please don't give up. My father had IPF. He too had a transplant. Double lung. He is now 11 years out and doing well for the most part. Of course he's been in and out of the hospital a couple of times this year but that is to be expected. If you haven't found it please go to the Second Wind website. You will find many who've had lung transplants and can provide support. http://www.2ndwind.org/

You may contact me at any time at kgabriel28@yahoo.com

Prayerfully yours,
Karen Gabriel

Anonymous said...

Dear Joy and Wayne,
Usually Mom and Dad keep me posted on how you are doing so I was completely dumbfounded when I read the latest news. I agree with you, Wayne, it seems like whatever could happen has happened. MSRA has been an issue here in my counseling department because we had a counselor who picked it up when he had surgery and his co-worker (who has severe immune problems) had to take the rest of the year off because her doctors didn't want her to be exposed. We wondered about the students because it's pretty contagious. I hope that Joy is able to recover quickly, but this is certainly not what she needed on top of everything else. I feel so bad for all of you because you have been through so much. I am really thankful that Kayce is better though. Does she have to keep away from greasy foods or anything to prevent a recurrence? Please keep us posted even though I know it's difficult when things seem so bleak. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, Doug, also.
Love,
Laraine

Steve said...

Hey Wayne & Joy,
I'm sure you still have a lot on your plate, but we're hoping that Joy is feeling better. And with holiday weekend near at hand, we just want to wish the entire Bulla Clan a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Love to all,
Steve & Trina

Anonymous said...

Wayne & Joy,

I have this picture of two high school youngsters in band uniforms with big smiles on their faces. You can tell the boy and girl are enjoying each other's company and not really paying attention to the high school football game. I think they know something more about life than most of their friends realize. Wayne & Joy, you have been blessed and now you pass on more than you know to others -through your faith sharing. Thank you, Wayne. Indeed, our thoughts and prayers continue for you and Joy. Take care - Bob L.

Anonymous said...

Wayne & Joy,

May the Peace of Christ be with you and your families during the holiday season !! You have treasures to enjoy - its just difficult to uncover them in difficult times.

take care - Bob L.